Refining and Realigning Your Business Model
Ignition works with agencies and other professional service firms to help them define their strategic plan and align their organization with not just best practices, but what we call “next practices” – the things progressive firms are doing to reinvent themselves successfully for the future.
To lay the foundation for this work, Ignition often engages in the following steps.
Conduct in-depth interviews
Ignition conducts in-depth interviews with key executives to gain insights into current issues and challenges at the firm. This may include an exploration of such areas as:
- Current focus and positioning
- Capabilities and core competencies
- Areas of specialized expertise
- Competitive points of difference
- Philosophies, approaches and other intellectual capital
- Current drivers of success
- Strategic assets
- Organization and team structure
- Roles and responsibilities
- Operational issues and challenges
- Talent and talent management
- Pricing and compensation systems
- Working environment and resources
- Strengths and opportunities on which to capitalize
- Primary challenges in reaching next level of success
- Conduct online survey
It’s often helpful to also field an online survey among all associates of the firm. Ignition employs a comprehensive proprietary tool, the Agency Brand Assessment, which is organized around six major areas:
- Positioning. To what extent has the firm identified and fully leveraged its points of relevant differentiation?
- Product. To what extent is the firm delivering creative and strategic excellence and offering the functions and services needed to compete effectively in the new multi-channel world?
- People. To what extent does the firm have the ability to find and develop the talent and intellectual capital needed to deliver consistently high levels of performance? Are all associates aligned behind a shared vision?
- Promotion. To what extent does the firm apply the same creativity and discipline to defining and promoting its own brand?
- Process. To what extent does the firm manage its capacity, price its services, and develop its own intellectual property in order to achieve above-average profit margins?
- Place. To what extent has the firm designed a work environment that facilitates collaboration and leverages technology to improve both its efficiency and effectiveness?
Strategic planning work sessions
Ignition conducts both in-person and online strategic planning sessions with senior management teams. These sessions include a discussion and review of observations and recommendations, including:
An objective viewpoint on the critical issues and opportunities facing
- Insights into the attitudes, opinions, and motivations of your management team and staff.
Recommendations for focusing and strengthening the agency’s
- Ideas about how the agency can innovate in the areas of business model, organization, work process, compensation, etc. based on Ignition’s consulting work with other progressive marketing organizations.
Identification of key initiatives
Based on these insights and conclusions, Ignition will engage the management team in identifying key strategic imperatives and initiatives designed to address current issues and opportunities and to help take the firm successfully into the future. Among other things, we’ll identify the following:
- What are the core competencies we should be focused on in order to become even more relevant and valuable to our clients?
- How are the boundaries of our business model shifting?
What are the points of relevant differentiation that will help us win
- Which agency capabilities create the most value for clients and how can we invest more in them?
- Similarly, which of our services create the least value for clients and how can we invest less in them?
Do we have the right structure, roles, and people to execute
- Who should be leading and managing the various agency functions?
- What are some of the other hard decisions we should be making?
Ignition is also available to engage with its clients in the deployment phase, helping to execute key initiatives and serve as an advisor and resource to internal deployment teams.
To learn more about how Ignition can help your firm in the area of strategic planning, please contact Tim Williams at email@example.com or 801.582.7297.
What others are saying
"Our work with Ignition has been different from other consultancies. Most of the work we have done together has stuck, has become part of our culture, and is being practiced regularly. There are a couple of reasons why that's true. First, what Tim teaches makes an enormous amount of sense. Second, the way he says it has immense credibility. Ignition’s trust factor with our staff was almost immediate." Joe Norris, Sullivan Higdon & Sink
“Tim Williams brings smart and creative thinking to the challenges of organizing a dynamic agency during these fast-changing times. His wisdom has made us stronger. And his thoughtful personal style makes working with him thoroughly enjoyable.” David Rawle, Chairman, RawleMurdy
“Tim Williams really provided a turning point for our agency. His insight on our business plus the ability to grasp our niches in the advertising world really provided motivation and an urge to action for all of our people.” Steve Barr, Partner, Osborn & Barr
“Tim’s insights into the world of independent mid-sized agencies is incredible. Our session provided practical ideas we could put to use immediately.” David Bohan, CEO, Bohan
Questions or feedback? Contact us.
Copyright © 2013 Ignition Consulting Group, Inc. Terms of Service